Saturday, May 31, 2008

Kimbo Slice gets a paycheck, Elite XC gets submitted

I have begun writing this while my DVR is on pause during the introductions, strike one. The fighting is always interesting, but where UFC has hit a home run is their no B.S. productions. Pyrotechnicians need not apply. Typical old media move to take something raw and pure and exciting like MMA and a true streetfighter in Kimbo Slice and overproduce it so much that I decide to write a whining blog about it instead of actually watch the fight. Quick memo to CBS....MMA IS NOT PRO WRESTLING. The flamethrower entrances and 5 minute in-ring introductions are making me a little nauseous. One of the pre-fight pimps actually compared Kimbo Slice to Tiger Woods and the Golden Boy in ONE FREAKING SENTENCE. Really, somebody wrote that and then somebody else read it and not one person involved at CBS said, "Whoa, let's keep a grain of credibility and wait until the fight is over before we offend every golf and boxing fan in the world." Not that there will be a fight, this is the fighting equivelent of the Globetrotters vs the Generals. Thompson is coming off back to back losses and just needs a paycheck to open his gym. I am pausing here to actually watch the fight. I let my DVR build up 20 minutes of "skip the commercials time" because this is network television.
WOW, the last time Kimbo worked that hard he, well, uh, okay he hasn't. The last time Kimbo was on his back that much was when his mama was changing his dirty diapers. The next time Kimbo will be paid that much for fighting will be defending the turf of Miami druglords. James Thompson needs immediate plastic surgery and now he can afford it. Highlight of the night......an exploding ear!!!

1 comment:

Robert Morris (Bubba) said...

I am glad I didn't watch this one although I saw the highlights on ESPN. It amazes me that this fight between two bums got on sportcenter and real fights between real title contenders don't make it on. ESPN used to be known for having a finger on the pulse of sports is putting its money on boxing (contender), horseracing, and baseball. Can you say out of touch!