Sunday, April 20, 2008

Environmentalists.....not complete idiots



Last Saturday I took a day off and went hiking with a friend in Zion National Park. This is not really part of my life, I spend more time outdoors than most, but usually don't hike just for hiking's sake. Generally I am flyfishing or golfing (about 5 miles if you walk 18 holes) or hunting if I am hiking. Although I live very near the park and often take my family there, it has been some time since I have done a 15 mile round trip hike in one day. It took us about 7 hours total with a nice long lunch at the arch viewing site. The dissappointing part is that the terrain becomes very rugged and we could only get about 1/2 mile away (my estimation) to see it. Apparently it is the largest natural land bridge in the world, so the scale is still impressive at that distance. Any closer would require rock-climbing gear and much more time. As with most experiences, photos do not do it justice. I just can't help think that some survivalist FLDS member would have a shack built on top of the arch if it weren't National Park.

No comments: